By Angélica Fuentes
Spring is a time for renovation. Decide today to live fully and surround yourself with love. Leave behind grudges, guilt, resentments and past regrets. Move forward with an open heart. It is time to shake off the cold weather, so start shedding your winter coats and boots. Spring is an opportunity to plan new projects. Let yourself flourish.
We all have areas in our lives that we would like to improve. Sometimes it’s about the way you relate to others. On other occasions, it’s about not achieving what you want because you feel anxious, or afraid to start something new. You might feel undecided and instead of accelerating, you step on the breaks. But today I tell you, do not give up on that new idea that has been fluttering in your mind. You are still on time to make your dreams come true.
I know it’s hard to break a bad habit because they grant us a certain feeling of “security”. Nevertheless, all changes come with risk, and knowing how to take risks requires bravery and practice. Step out of your comfort zone without fear. Embrace the challenges life gives you. Remember that change is accompanied by hope and opportunities. Take on your life project passionately and commit yourself to it. You own your destiny.
The good news is that there are certain strategies to be able to narrow the gap between where you are now and where you would like to be.
- Rather than punishment, positive reinforcement promotes permanent change. So, stop mentally punishing yourself and give yourself a chance.
- Simplify the whole process of change by designing a plan with realistic, achievable goals. Don’t overburden yourself! It’s better to complete small concrete actions. Value every step forward, and celebrate it.
- Perfection doesn’t exist. Consider that your plans for change may fail and you might have to switch strategies. Don’t give up. You’ll be a little wiser in the process.
- Ask for feedback and support. You aren’t alone. It’s a good idea to surround yourself with people that help you grow, and who will be your allies in the process of change. Remember that happiness is doubled when shared.
- Keep calm and appreciate every step of the route. Yes, the reward will be incredibly satisfying, but savor the process as well. Happiness is not a goal, but a way of living; it´s the journey, not the destination. Enjoy the ride!
I hope these tips are useful to you. The first step is to make the decision to change. From then on, everything will improve. You only have one life, but it holds many opportunities for you to live it as you always wished to. Every morning is a new beginning.
Choose love over fear.