In mythology, it’s considered the nectar of the Gods. In ancient times, it was used by beauty legends like Cleopatra and Nefertiti. Today, scientists have proven that honey truly does have many healthful qualities. It turns out, honey skincare offers amazing benefits to those who are willing to dip into this sweet substance.
What Makes Honey So Skin-Friendly?
This sticky sap contains potent agents that are ideal for skin care. Honey’s natural recipe includes amino acids, vitamins, minerals and enzymes. In fact, it contains more than 180 compounds. Don’t worry, you don’t need to know all 180 before you can reap the benefits of honey skincare. But, here’s an overview to give you an idea of honey’s powerful elements:
- Honey contains the enzyme glucose oxidase. Combined with water, this creates hydrogen peroxide – a great antiseptic.
- Honey contains antioxidants and flavonoids, which act as antibacterial agents and protect the body from environmental exposure and stress.
- Honey is a humectant, meaning it attracts and retains moisture. It can rebuild the moisture in your skin, without making it oily.
- Honey is gentle, so it can be used on sensitive skin.
Due to these amazing properties, honey skincare works wonders for your complexion in a variety of ways:
The antioxidants in honey slow down aging by reducing the negative effects of free radicals. Honey has more naturally-occurring antioxidants than almost any other natural source. This makes honey skincare a great source to protect against premature wrinkling.
The antibacterial component makes honey good for acne treatment and prevention. Its cleansing properties help clear acne caused by bacterial infections.
Honey skincare opens up pores, making them easy to unclog and capable of receiving the full benefits of skincare products.
Honey’s moisturizing and soothing properties make skin soft and supple, giving you a youthful glow.
Bit-o-honey trivia: Did you know honey never spoils? You don’t have to refrigerate it. It can be stored unopened indefinitely at room temperature. That’s an impressive shelf-life for a beauty product!
Applying Honey Skincare to Your Daily Routine
With so many benefits, it’s easy to see why you should incorporate honey into your daily skin care routine. While consuming it offers other health benefits, applying honey to your skin will help you achieve the clear, youthful, glowing look you desire.
Here’s five easy applications you can use to make honey skincare simple but effective.
A home-made mask is one of the easiest ways to use raw honey in your honey skincare. Dampen your skin, then apply a thin layer of raw honey, using a circular motion. Leave the mask on for 30 minutes, then rinse with warm water. This creates soft, radiant skin.
Depending on your skin type and the issues you are fighting, you may want to try one of the following honey-mask combinations.
- For dry skin – Honey & Avocado: Blend or mash 2 tablespoons of avocado flesh, 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 egg yolk. Apply to skin and rinse after 30 minutes.
- For oily skin – Honey & Carrot: Cook 2 or 3 carrots, then mash them and mix with 4.5 tablespoons of honey. Refrigerate for 10 minutes and apply to skin. Leave on for 10 minutes.
- For sensitive skin – Honey & Banana: Mix ½ mashed banana, ¼ cup oatmeal (cooked with milk), 1 egg and ½ tablespoon honey. Apply and leave for 15 minutes then rinse with water.
- For all skin types – Honey & Lavender: Mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey with 3 drops of lavender essential oil. Dampen face, apply mask and leave for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- For skin lightening – Honey & Lemon: Combine 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Rinse off after 20-30 minutes.
- For healing and repairing – Honey & Pollen: Use 1 teaspoon of ground bee pollen and 2 teaspoons of raw honey to create a potent honey skincare mask. Leave on for 30 minutes to an hour then rinse with water.
Bit-o-honey trivia: The average worker honey bee makes just one-twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime.
Exfoliating your skin removes dead cells to uncover fresh, radiant skin below. Create an effective exfoliator using honey and baking soda. Combine two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of baking soda. Use this honey skincare on arms, legs and feet as well as your face to gently and naturally exfoliate.
Honey creates a great cleanser to remove heavy makeup. Combine it with a natural plant oil like coconut to create a balmy texture. Massage onto your face to loosen makeup, then rinse. (Please note – this is not a good combination to use for delicate eye makeup. To address eye contour imperfections and cover dark eye circles, try this eye bag cream.)
Honey Spot Treatment
Suffering from a breakout? Honey skincare can help. Apply a small amount of honey on a cotton swab and dab it onto your acne. Or, mix with lavender oil and tea tree oil for additional cleansing. Sleep with this dab of honey on your face and enjoy rejuvenated skin in the morning.
Long days in the sun can dry out your skin. A soothing honey bath can restore the moisture your skin needs to stay healthy. Instead of a bubble bliss, try a honey soak. Add two cups of honey to your bath and soak for 15 minutes. Add a cup of baking soda for an additional 15-minute soak to exfoliate your skin.
Bit-o-honey trivia: Honey is created when bees mix plant nectar with their own enzymes. They collect the nectar, drop it in the honeycomb and evaporate it by fanning their wings. Honey bees must tap two million flowers to make one pound of honey. To do so, they must fly over 55,000 miles. Let’s be glad the price of a jar of honey isn’t based on bee labor wages!
Honey Skincare Regimen
For honey-healthy skin, try using these methods several times each week. It’s helpful to exfoliate once per week, and face masks can be used daily. However, applying them two to three times each week is often sufficient.
As you soak in the benefits of honey, you’ll enjoy younger-looking and healthier skin. Follow up this honey skincare regimen with A Complete daily facial regime to fully unleash the natural beauty of your skin.
The post Honey Skincare Offers Sweet Results for Your Daily Skin Care Routine appeared first on A Complete.