Picture a clean window. Now, picture a window that hasn’t been cleaned in a year. It’s coated with a thick layer of dirt and grime. Imagine taking a squeegee to this pane of glass and wiping away the film. You reveal the shiny, clean glass underneath, for a crisp, clear view. Now imagine doing the same with your skin. How? A clear, clean complexion is one of the benefits of daily exfoliation.
Once you’ve cleaned that window, you’ll probably wonder why you didn’t do it weeks ago. It looks so good! The same is true with your skin. Through daily exfoliation, you can keep your skin looking fresh. Infrequent exfoliation (or none at all) leaves your skin looking like that dull, dirty pane. To prevent this, try exfoliating daily. With this quick and easy skin care regimen, you’ll reap many great results from exfoliating.
Here’s the top 10 benefits of daily exfoliation.
- A closer shave: Dead skin cells clog up your razor blade. Removing these cells daily will help you achieve the clean, close shave you desire that leaves your legs silky smooth.
- Improved texture: Does your skin ever feel rough or dry? Revive it with daily exfoliation. By regularly scrubbing away this rough, dead skin, you’ll expose the fresh cells below and enjoy improved texture.
- Hydrated skin: Dry skin causes flakey and scaly patches. A benefit of daily exfoliation is the removal of this dry skin. The rough, unattractive areas are removed, exposing fresh, healthy skin below.
- Even skin tone: Standard washing and cleansing may leave behind dirt and makeup residue that makes your tone dull and uneven. Exfoliating helps remove this layer, along with layers of dead skin. In their place is a fresh layer of bright, new skin with more even tone.
- Fewer blemishes: Have you ever experienced lasting red or dark marks after a breakout or injury? One of the benefits of daily exfoliation is helping your skin recover. By removing damaged skin cells, you encourage new, healthy skin growth and help these dark spots fade more quickly.
- Fewer wrinkles: As we age, our skin loses its natural ability to shed skin cells. This process slows down, and the result is a layer of dead, dull skin cells that make fine lines and wrinkles stand out. Remove them with daily exfoliation to restore a youthful appearance.
- Ingrown hair prevention: Occasionally, a hair fails to pierce through the skin and becomes ingrown. You’ll notice a red spot where this has occurred. By exfoliating this area, you remove dead skin that is holding the hair below the surface and allow the hair to break through the skin.
- Clearer complexion: One of the top exfoliation effects is breakout prevention. Dead skin cells clog pores. This allows oils to get trapped in your skin, which causes breakouts. Exfoliate daily to keep pores clean and unclogged.
- Better results: Do you use daily skincare products? To achieve their desired result, most must be able to penetrate your skin. Without exfoliation, layers of dead skin can block these products. Exfoliate daily so your products can penetrate deep and do the work they were made to do.
- A healthy glow: Perhaps the best benefit of daily exfoliation is the overall well-being of your skin. This process increases blood circulation, encourages new skin cell growth, breaks down and drains toxins from your skin and leaves your skin wonderfully soft and beautiful.
The Science Behind the Benefits
At this point, you may be wondering how such a simple step can provide so many benefits. Here’s the scoop. Your skin operates on a regular regenerating cycle. Live cells live at the bottom layer of your skin (the epidermis). As the cycle progresses, these cells work their way to the surface and become harder and harder, until they eventually die and fall off. At this point, the new cells underneath are revealed.
The problem with this natural process is that it slows down as we age. Hormonal changes, skin damage and other factors can also cause it to slow. On average, cell turnover happens every two to three weeks during your 20s, once a month in your 30s and every 40 days in your 40s. With every passing decade, the process continues to slow down. As you would expect, 40 or 50-day-old skin starts to look rough and dull.
Speeding up this process is the main benefit of daily exfoliation. Rather than wait a few weeks for your dead cells to fall away, you remove them through exfoliation. This keeps the top layer of your skin fresh and smooth and encourages the production of new, youthful cells. The result is more vibrant, attractive skin.
Top 5 Natural Exfoliators
You now know the “what” and “why” behind the benefits of daily exfoliation. All that’s left is the “how.” To reap these many benefits, try using a natural exfoliator you can find right in your own kitchen. Following are your best options for simple, clean exfoliation at home.
Sugar: This sweet substance contains glycolic acid, which smooths and softens skin and boosts new skin cell production. Make a quick paste with ½ cup of white or brown sugar and enough olive or grapeseed oil to create a good consistency for application. Apply it to your face in a circular motion and leave on for 10 minutes. Gently wash away with warm water.
Lemon juice: Like sugar, lemon juice is another type of alpha hydroxy acid that removes dead skin cells. Create a mixture of ¼ cup each lemon juice, apple juice, grape juice and cane sugar. Apply it to your face with a cotton ball. Rinse off after 10 minutes.
Yogurt: This healthy treat contains a milder form of the alpha hydroxy acid found in many skin care treatments. It works to smooth and even your skin tone. Simply apply the yogurt to your face and leave for 20 minutes, then rinse.
Honey: Honey is a humectant, meaning it attracts moisture and acts as a hydrating scrub. It boosts the natural exfoliation process with its own natural ingredients. Scrub your face gently with a spoonful of honey, then wash with warm water.
Papaya: The papain enzyme found in papaya dissolves dead skin cells. This fruit is also known to lighten skin spots and fine lines. Crush a green papaya into a smooth paste and apply it to your face. Rinse off after 15 minutes.
Are you ready to start enjoying the daily benefits of daily exfoliation? As you begin your new facial care regimen, always remember the golden rule of exfoliation: be gentle. Avoid harsh products and don’t scrub too hard. Gently exfoliate your skin each day to achieve the fresh, youthful skin you desire.
The post Are You Enjoying the Benefits of Daily Exfoliation? appeared first on A Complete.