If you dislike change, you’re not alone. Change is challenging. It can be scary. Many of us avoid change if we can. We find something that works and stick with it. Sometimes that’s ok. Other times, we miss out on something that works even better. This is often the case with skin care. We believe our habits are “good enough,” but in reality, we aren’t taking great care of our skin. If you want a healthy, vibrant look, consider making the following changes. These natural tips for younger looking skin will help you achieve the youthful appearance you desire.
Tip#1: Change Your Face Washing Routine
Do you ever wear makeup to bed? Do you use cleansing, moisturizing products to rejuvenate your skin? Do you take special care with the sensitive skin around your eyes? Do you use bar soap?
Depending on how you answered these questions, you make need to make some changes to your face-wash routine. To get the full benefits of this natural tip for younger looking skin, follow these guidelines.
- Wash away makeup. Always remove makeup before you go to sleep. Leaving makeup on overnight allows dirt and bacteria to get trapped in your skin. You’ll suffer from clogged pores, irritated skin and breakouts.
- Cleanse your skin gently. Bar soaps (even those that contain moisturizers) can be harsh on your face. The ingredients used to bind the bar together aren’t pH-balanced for facial skin. To remove makeup and the dirt of the day, use a soap-free cleanser created with natural ingredients your skin loves.
- Protect your peepers. As you cleanse, remember to protect the sensitive skin around your eyes. This thin layer is more susceptible to damage and wrinkles. For added protection, consider using an eye contour cream to reduce dark circles and bags under your eyes.
- Trap moisture in. Healthy skin is hydrated skin. To remain supple and youthful, your skin needs water. In addition to drinking plenty of fluids, include the right hydrating products in your skincare regimen. A hydrating serum applied after cleansing helps trap moisture in and preps your skin to receive the full benefits of other products. Finally, complete your routine with a anti aging moisturizing cream. These nature-based products will help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines and reinvigorate your skin with the balanced moisture level it needs.
Tip#2: Change Your Relationship with the Sun
Protecting your skin from UV rays is one of the most common natural tips for younger looking skin. You’ve probably heard dozens of times that you should wear sunblock when out in the harsh sunshine. While this is true, there’s more you can do to make your relationship with the sun as healthy as possible.
As you enjoy the summer sunshine, try these natural tips for younger looking skin.
- Choose the right sunscreen. Don’t simply grab the highest SPF you can find and lather up. Look for a broad-spectrum sunblock that offers protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Select a product that is at least SPF 15 and contains either avobenzone, mexoryl or oxybenzone.
- Choose the right attire. If you’re going to be out in the sunshine, wear a hat and sunglasses. Select an outfit with long sleeves and tight-woven fabrics for the best protection.
- Choose the right time. The sun’s rays are harshest between 10am and 4pm. If possible, avoid these intense periods and get outside in the earlier or later hours of the day.
Tip#3: Change Your Sleep Patterns
How much sleep do you get each night? Is it quality sleep? Sleep is one of the essential natural tips for younger looking skin. When we don’t get enough good sleep, our skin looks tired and older. We get bags under our eyes and wrinkles in our skin. To ensure your body gets the rest it needs, align your sleep patterns with the following recommendations.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep. When you sleep, your skin makes new collagen. This protein strengthens your skin to prevent wrinkles and sagging. If you get only 5 hours of sleep, you may experience up to twice as many fine lines as you would if you slept 7 hours. Sleeping also boosts blood flow to your skin, providing a healthy glow. A lack of sleep causes dull, drab skin.
- Get quality sleep. Lying in bed for 8 hours won’t provide the true rest you need. To get a good night’s sleep, keep a regular bedtime routine, avoid eating a heavy meal late at night, avoid caffeine in the evenings, and keep your bedroom cool, dark and quiet. If needed, use ear plugs and an eye mask. To wind down before bed, try a warm bath. It also helps to journal away any worries on your mind.
- Sleep on your back. If you sleep on your side, you press your face into your pillow for several hours. This causes sleep lines, which can become wrinkles. Try sleeping on your back to avoid these wrinkle-producing lines.
- Use satin sheets. Since you might shift positions while you sleep (and end up on your side after all), try using a satin pillowcase. This material is less harsh on your face, to prevent sleep lines.
Tip#4: Change Your Exercise Habits
Do you currently have an exercise routine? If not, creating a regular habit of exercise is one of the best natural tips for younger looking skin. Research has shown that women who work out regularly have firmer skin than those who don’t. Why? Exercise offers the following skin benefits.
- Increases circulation. Exercise pumps oxygen and nutrients throughout your body. It gets these essentials to your skin, infusing it with what it needs to stay youthful and attractive.
- Strengthens muscles. As you strengthen the muscles beneath your skin, you help keep it toned and smooth.
- De-stresses. Exercise is a good stress reliever. When we’re stressed, our body releases cortisol, which ages the skin.
- Improves sleep. When you exercise, you create a healthy tiredness that helps you sleep. Swimming, yoga and a combination strength/cardio routine are all good forms of exercise to improve sleep.
Tip#5: Change Your Diet
If you’re looking for natural tips for younger looking skin, look to your kitchen. What’s in your pantry and fridge? You may need to restock.
No, you don’t have to say goodbye to every favorite food. But, your skin can benefit from a few changes in food selection. Certain foods are skincare powerhouses – packed with nutrients that your skin needs to remain healthy and youthful. One of the best natural tips for younger looking skin is to simply incorporate these into your diet. It also helps to remove the foods that aren’t doing your skin any favors – such as those high in saturated fats and processed foods that offer few (if any) vitamins and minerals your skin needs. Trade these empty calories for foods that promote youthful skin. As you make your shopping list, keep these natural tips for younger looking skin in mind:
- Limit the bad: Saturated fats and hydrogenated oils aren’t good for your skin. A diet heavy in salt and sugar isn’t helpful either. Remember, the same foods that are harmful for your heart are damaging to your skin, too.
- Increase the good: Follow a daily menu that includes nutrient-rich, anti-aging foods. A Mediterranean diet is one of the best to follow. These foods will provide the antioxidants, vitamins and fatty acids your skin needs to fight the aging process.
- Add a supplement: Make your diet A Complete one by including a supplement for skin. This will ensure your body receives the best blend of vitamins and proteins it needs for healthy skin.
Are you ready to adjust your lifestyle to benefit from these natural tips for younger looking skin? Change can be hard, but it’s well worth it to enjoy healthy, rejuvenated, youthful skin